Search by 'print finish' tag
What is Texture?
Overnight Prints' Texture finish is a premium print enhancement. The finish adds a relief to selected text and images that looks and feels similar to embossing. The 3D effect is achieved by coating the desired areas in ink powder, then applying heat to create a raised effect.
Unlike other design programs and printers that require a separate black and white spot UV file, Overnight Prints' advanced process can create a layer that applies Texture existing images or text files, matching its physical characteristics.
How do I use Texture?
To use Texture, upload an existing file or use the online designer to create a custom design. Next, apply Texture to selected assets from the FX menu and click 3D Preview.
A separate black and white file is not required to apply Texture. The program's advanced algorithm is able to interpret the design and add a Texture layer that outlines images and text.
Note that the Texture effect will be added with an outline when applied to uploaded images.
Can I preview Texture before I order?Yes, experience the full effect of Texture with the 3D Preview tool. The 3D Preview mode displays the physical qualities of the applied finishes to the design. Click and hold to rotate 360 degrees to view variances in light, placement of raised ink and design edits in real-time.
How do I prepare my design file for Texture?
SINGLE FILE A separate black and white file is not required to apply Texture. The program will interpret an uploaded or created design to add a Texture layer that outlines images and text.
- Accepted filed types: JPEG, PNG, GIF
- Upload images from your hard drive,
- Choose images from Instagram or Flickr accounts, or
- Select previously uploaded images from My Images.
- Color: For best results, convert files to CMYK prior to uploading.
- Resolution: For best results, files should be 300 dpi and above. Check File Properties for the image resolution prior to uploading.
How do I use the artboard to apply Texture?Basic and advanced editing tools can be used to create custom designs and select finishes for individual image or text files.
LAYERThe Layer panel allows you to adjust the layers of all of your assets.
- Menu icon: View all finishes applied to each asset
- Modify the order (from top to bottom) to bring the asset to the front or send to the back
ADD IMAGE Follow the below guidelines for placement of text, images and background within our pre-sized template.
FILE SPECS SAFE ZONE (3.375" x 1.875"): Texture can only be applied to image and text files (not background) within the designated Safe Zone. Place all important elements, such as text and logos, inside of the red line to avoid the risk of being cut off in print production. TRIM SIZE (3.5" x 2"): This is the finished size where the document is estimated to be trimmed. Machine cut lines will be within 1/16 inch of the trim line, but may not always be exact. BLEED SIZE (3.625" x 2.215", 1088 x 638 px): To ensure images are printed to the edge without any white borders, upload background image files with 0.125" bleed on all sides that extend past the trim line and fill the entire frame.
ADD TEXT Use formatting tools to adjust text fields, including style, font family, font size, text color and alignment.
EDIT MODEBasic and advanced editing tools can be used to create custom designs.
IMAGE PROPERTIES: Double-click on the image or layer to edit and preview the image before applying changes.
- CHANGE IMAGE: Replace the current image by uploading a new file or choose a saved file.
- RECROP IMAGE: Use the crop panel to modify your cropped image. Click and drag the square crop indicators, or click Advanced Options to specify position, size and ratio.
- OVERLAY: Apply an overlay to bring an image to front of all other assets.
- PREVIEW: See a preview of changes to the image before applying the design.
- RENDER: Prevent selected assets from displaying in the final rendering.
POSITION: Adjust the placement of assets using the X-Y axis, scaling tool, rotation and on layers.
- X-AXIS: Determine the horizontal position of the asset.
- Y-AXIS: Determine the vertical position of the asset.
- SCALE X: Determine the width of the asset.
- SCALE Y: Determine the height of the asset.
- ROTATION: Image will rotate to a given number in degrees.
- ALIGN: Align the image to the top, bottom, left, right or center.
- FRONT/BACK: Determine the layer to place the image.
FXTo begin, select one or multiple assets from the Layer panel, select the Ink Options panel (FX) and apply desired finish. Note that when Spot UV or Texture is selected, the other finish is also turned on automatically.
INK OPTIONS: Apply special inks and finishes from the Ink Options panel to selected assets.
- CMYK: Select CMYK to display your asset in color.
- SPOT UV: Spot UV applies a high gloss to the selected asset.
- TEXTURE: Adjust the thickness of the Spot UV by adjusting the grayscale. The darker the gray, the thicker the resulting texture on the printed document.
- To view the document in full color, select the CMYK preview.
- To view where special inks will be applied, select the Texture preview to display in black and white. Black areas represent where the selected ink will be applied; gray areas represent where the selected ink will be partially printed.
Where can I apply Texture?
Texture is available in full color on our best-selling Premium Business Cards when designed through our online designer and cannot be combined with other print finishes, such as Full UV, Spot UV or Soft Touch Laminate.
Texture can be used to give your print products a distinct look with a physical quality that literally stands out. The coating can be applied to text, visual elements or the entire background to emphasize your logo or add depth to images.